New Mexicans usually enjoy warm, dry weather. Last week, however, Albuquerque city employees began preparing for winter road maintenance. KRQE reports that road crews drove their winter routes to check equipment, do some training and look for any issues.
The article says the city treated roads for 17 winter storms last year.
It may surprise some that a city so close to Mexico has to prepare for winter driving, but Albuquerque owns 50 trucks for plowing and applying salt to slippery roads, staffed by 90 employees.
Statewide, some areas experience more severe winters, especially in the northern mountains. Some of the high mountain valleys can even hit freezing temperatures during summer, according to Western Regional Climate Center.
Those using New Mexican roads must exercise reasonable care to drive safely to prevent accidents. The New Mexico Department of Transportation provides this winter-driving advice:
· Keep your vehicle well maintained.
· Before travel, check with NMDOT about road conditions, either online or by phone.
· Slow down for slippery conditions and do not tailgate.
· Save cruise control for dry weather. Cruise control can be dangerous if a car skids or hydroplanes.
· If snow, rain or fog makes it hard to see, reduce speed and use low beams or fog lights.
· Get off the road when visibility or other conditions become too dangerous.
· Give plows space by staying at least 50 feet behind and pass, if at all, with extra caution.
If you are in a winter accident, get off the road and call the police. Seek medical attention if needed and see a lawyer as soon as possible so that he or she may conduct an independent investigation and communicate with the involved insurance companies on your behalf. Legal counsel will provide advice on whether to consider a personal injury lawsuit if the other driver was negligent, reckless or breaking traffic laws.
In Albuquerque and throughout New Mexico, the law firm of Giddens & Gatton Law,amp; Jacobus has personal injury attorneys who handle motor vehicle accident cases and can specifically provide advice to injury victims and their families regarding how to proceed in the wake of an accident-related injury.
Contact Giddens & Gatton Law,amp; P.C., at (505) 273-3720 to set up an appointment or visit the firm’s website at giddenslaw.com. Giddens & Gatton Law,amp; P.C., is located at 10400 Academy Road N.E., Suite 350, in Albuquerque, New Mexico.